Seems lately that my schedule has been a zoo… and so is everyone else’s. Some people are not handling it well… losing it… exploding on others, etc. Don’t despair; God knows how you feel. Why Jesus himself declared that he was “overwhelmed” in the Garden of Gethsemane (which I visited in April 2019):
“Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.
Stay here and keep watch with me.” (Matthew 26:38).
WOW…EVEN THE SON OF GOD WAS OVERWHELMED. But, notice what he did:
1) Sought support from his friends (disciples); (okay, so they dozed… but still, they were present). Their spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak.
2) Sought God’s strength. I do this by singing praises when life tries to overwhelm me. My favorite stress relief song is “I Still Have Joy” by Gospel singer Ron Kenoly. TAKE A LISTEN HERE:
I SING IT OUT LOUD! REALLY LOUD–DEPENDING ON THE STRESS LEVEL. REMEMBER THAT FAITH COMES BY HEARING; SOMETIMES YOU NEED TO HEAR YOURSELF DECLARING YOUR VICTORY.
3) Asked God to eliminate the problem… (HE ASKED THREE TIMES!), but finally submitted to the will of God; knowing that EVERYTHING WORKS TOGETHER FOR THE GOOD FOR THOSE WHO LOVE GOD AND ARE CALLED ACCORDING TO HIS PURPOSE. A great strategy is to get excited about the “good” that will come out of the present adversity. “Lord, I thank you for this opportunity to GROW.”
In sum, here a few things that I do to combat overwhelm:
1) ALL OF THE ABOVE!
2) Determine my top priority for the next 30-60 minutes–and only focus on that!!! Put the other stuff aside.
3) Silence my phone (some of you can’t stand a ringing phone; get over it!).
4) Perform a quick physical exercise: Stretch 60 seconds; do 100 jumping jacks on the trampoline, or ride my exercycle for three-five minutes.
5) FOCUS… SING… FOCUS… SING… FOCUS.
6)Take 5-10 long, deep breaths and s-l-o-w-l-y inhale for 10 seconds thru the nose and exhale 10 seconds via mouth with teeth together; I inhale “PEACE” and exhale “STRESS”.
Try these strategies and you’re sure to experience the peace that surpasses your understanding!